We all know to follow the news and weather-related websites to keep track of the weather, but I learned of apps that you can download to your cell phone in addition to the ones I listed in my latest blog about hurricanes.
The truth is the TIPS on How To Survive in New Orleans, no matter the Hurricane or Storm that will save your LIFE will not come from FEMA, Red Cross, The Governor, but from the REAL CULTURAL AMBASSADORS who actually survived one of the worst natural disasters in the United States. New Orleanians not only survived Hurricane Katrina, but the People of New Orleans survived and will continue to survive the political corruption that comes with life in the NOLA.
Here’s a list of apps and websites that may help you during this hurricane season and weather tracking overall.
- FEMA App: provides timely alerts and useful information to help you and your loved ones stay safe before, during and after disasters. You can receive fast and reliable notifications about severe weather for up to five locations nationwide. This simple and easy-to-use resource also provides safety information, emergency preparedness tips, and disaster assistance. https://www.fema.gov/mobile-app
- Zello App: Turn your phone or tablet into a walkie talkie with this lightning fast free PTT (Push To Talk) radio app. Talk to your contacts privately or join public channels to engage in a hot debate. http://zello.com/ptt
- American Red Cross App: Be ready for severe weather with Hurricane by American Red Cross. Monitor conditions in your area or throughout the storm track, prepare your family and home, find help and let others know you are safe – a must have for anyone who lives in an area where a hurricane may strike or has loved ones who do. email@example.com
- CrowdSource Rescue is an organization that helps empowers neighbors to help neighbors, via use of mapping, tracking, and rescue technology. https://crowdsourcerescue.com
- The Weather Channel Website & App: Track Hurricane Florence with Storm Radar: your NOAA forecast, weather radar and hurricane tracker. Stay safe and informed through rain and severe weather using 8 hour past to future radar. Get ready for storm season with live wind speed and tornado updates from The Weather Channel. weather.com
- Harmany App: Helps connect people who either need to find or want to provide temporary shelter to others when it’s needed during emergency and evacuation events. Airbnb has a free option for those in need of shelter., You will need a verified Airbnb account or log into their current account. From there, guests located in the affected area may view $0 listings by clicking “Find shelter” on a disaster-response page. Please note, any reservation reported to have been made by a non-evacuee will be canceled and guests must leave the listing immediately. Join the community of 500+ hosts who have opened their homes to evacuees for free. https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/download
- GasBuddy connects drivers to their Perfect Pit Stop™, and serves the full lifecycle of being on the road. It starts with GasBuddy’s database of more than 150,000 gas station convenience stores, including real-time fuel price information, station locations and offerings, along with ratings and reviews. GasBuddy’s payments service, Pay with GasBuddy, entitles drivers to save on every gallon of gas they pump. https://www.gasbuddy.com/
- Waze App: Always know what’s happening on the road with Waze. Even if you know the way, Waze tells you about traffic, construction, police, crashes, and more in real-time. If traffic is bad on your route, Waze will change it to save you time. https://www.waze.com/
- WeatherBug: the best free weather app, powered by the world’s largest network of professional weather stations, providing the fastest weather alerts, real-time weather conditions, accurate hourly forecasts & 10-day forecasts, 18 weather maps including Doppler radar, satellite, lightning alerts, precipitation, local temperature, local pressure, local radar, wind chill, heat index, humid, wind, pollen, UV and much more! http://knowbefore.weatherbug.com
- TextNow: Free text + calls You can send as many text messages as you want to US & Canada – FREE! https://www.textnow.com/
Get emergency information directly from the City of New Orleans.
1. Emergency alerts
3. Streetwise is a list of the things we know about that may impact driving.
Sewerage and Water Board Operational Status
- Outage alerts.
- Outage maps.
- Bill pay.
- Account management.
- and more
*Sources: MSN, FEMA, Google, NolaReady, Sewage & Water Board, Entergy, Red Cross